9/21/14

PSA: Au Naturale?



To be honest, I never thought I'd find myself writing a post like this, but I feel the need to address some concerns. Sometimes I've been asked if I've had surgery. And those are the times I don't know how to react when people ask me that. Flattered and annoyed seems to answer it best.

While I don't oppose surgery, I haven't done it. More importantly, I don't have the means to do it. I would try out Botox and fillers before going under the knife.

I guess my answer as to why I look so different are my makeup techniques, the occasional contact-wearing and puberty? With filters, angles, and good lighting, I can make myself look dramatically different. It's fun being able to look certain ways in photos, in my opinion. I am aware I look different without makeup and the filters, but who really cares? Don't most of us?

A mere pair of falsies can make my eyes look way bigger than they already are. Concealer lifts my face so that I look awake, etc. etc. I feel like my face is very transformable? Google before and after makeup transformations and it will blow your mind.


"Did you do something to your nose?"

This is the most common question I've been asked. For example, my mom asked me a couple months ago if I had something done to my nose and I told her that I contour it. I don't know why she would even ask that honestly, when I don't have the means to alter my face at the moment. Not that I'm against it, I'm just saying. Oh, and if you're wondering if I would get a nose job if I had the money, the answer is yes. However, I would consider botox and fillers first.


"You looked different before."


A couple years back, an old coworker saw my driver's license that accidentally fell on the floor and asked me if I had plastic surgery. I'm sure he was implying how different I looked, but maybe also implying that I look drastically different. I've been told that my face looks "fake," mostly by some random asian people I've encountered. And then I always ask myself, "Why? Because I'm asian and my eyes are big?" There are lots of asians that have big eyes. Stop the stereotypes, people!


"What are you???"

I'm not full, but I am part from my dad's side. Back then, I was told on multiple occasions that I look different from other Asians? I don't even know what that means anymore. But sometimes this situation gets out of control (read the next paragraph and you'll see why). Sure, I'd prefer people tell me I look unique, but because I don't look stereotypical asian, people assume the worst. Yes I like that I look different to some people, but I embrace my features and how I can transform my face.


"What's up with your ID?"

I need to change my driver's license BAD. Every time I get carded people give me the weirdest looks because it "doesn't look like me." Okay, I get it. I had more baby fat back then, I was super tan from my tennis days, my hair was black, and my makeup was different. But I was also 16 in that photo. Sometimes it is such a struggle because I JUST WANT TO GET INSIDE without all the hassle at a bar or club. Why should I have to feel guilty when it is me in the photo? Sometimes I think back to how upset I'd be if I wasn't admitted even though it IS me in the ID. In a way, it's kind of ironic when they should be targeting people who are using fake IDs to get in.

"They'll either want to kill you, kiss you, or be you." - Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay

No comments:

Post a Comment