3/27/15

How I Retouch My Roots




I love freshly done roots. It refreshes my entire hair color even though I only worked on the regrowth. My regrowth was about 1/3 of an inch and it was time to get them done!  Seeing my natural black roots against my light hair was really bothering me! It was as if every time I looked in the mirror it was all I could see. Glad that's over with!

Medium Ash Blonde Hair

If you ever plan on lightening your hair, please save yourself time and money, and buy actual bleach instead of "hi-lift blonde" drugstore box dyes. I was able to lighten my roots to a banana yellow shade in 45 minutes! Before when I resorted to box dyes, I had to use 2-3 boxes to really see results. But then again, this might vary for everyone because, after all, I do have stubborn black asian hair.

The best bleach I have ever used was L'Oreal Quick Blue ($27). I purchased the bucket instead of the packets because I will regularly use bleach to maintain my current hair color. I mixed it with 30 vol. developer (1:1). As for bleach application, I started at the bottom and back part of my head first and worked towards the front with a brush. I used a door mirror and big handheld mirror to make sure I got everything! Unfortunately, I ended up missing some spots, but they're buried way underneath my hair that you wouldn't be able to see it unless you were looking for it. Silly me! Next time, I will triple check before finishing the bleaching step. I used any leftover bleach to lighten my eyebrows as well. (Natural eyebrow color comes back so fast!). I left that on for 10 minutes before it became yellow.

After I rinsed the bleach and dried my hair with a fan and hairdryer, I slathered on 2 boxes of Ion Brilliance Medium Ash Blonde ($6), and left it on for 15 minutes.


  • NOTE: If the hair color you're about to dye is already yellow/blonde, do not put an ash shade on it because it can leave a grey/green/ashy/purple tint. I made this mistake, but good thing I was able to fix it! In the future, I will get a neutral or golden blonde to avoid using ketchup.


Because it came out just a tad more ashy than I liked, I ended up using ketchup on my hair for the first time. At this stage in the process I was tired, and didn't feel like going to the store again, spending more money, and damaging my hair even further. I left the ketchup on my newly dyed hair for 30 minutes and it neutralized some of the ashiness. It was interesting to have my hair smell like vinegar, but it wasn't too bothersome. Ashy hair fades the more you wash it, but to speed it up I'm going to repeat the ketchup step for a couple days before I shower. I'm definitely going to let my hair rest for a little while after all I've put it through today.

Even after all the years I've spent doing my own hair, I still make mistakes here and there. But as long as you organize yourself and persevere, you can achieve the hair color you want!




Bleached hair after 45 minutes

Bleached hair using ketchup as a toner (gross, I know)




Below are some of my hair goals:

Sayoko Ozaki and @lazybumtot



MOTD Product List:

FACE
  1. Tarte Amazonian 12hr Clay Foundation, Fair Sand
  2. Rimmel Stay Matte, #20
  3. Physician's Formula Translucent Pearls
  4. Too Faced Milk Chocolate Soleil Bronzer
  5. Coastal Scents taupe eyeshadow
  6. Exuviance Concealer in Beige


EYES
  1. Tarte Maracuja Creaseless Concealer in Light Sand
  2. NYX Pencil Eyeliner in Dark Brown (top lid only)
  3. Ardell Natural Demi Wispies
  4. Maybelline Big Eyes Mascara (big wand on lower lashes)
  5. Rimmel Scandal Eyes Bulletproof Beige  
  6. Maybelline Brow Drama in Blonde
  7. ELF HD Undereye Setting Powder
  8. Contacts: GEO Tri World Brown

LIPS
  1. Tarte Amazonian 12hr Clay Foundation, Fair Sand
  2. Peripera Tint Milk, Milky Peach

No comments:

Post a Comment